Monday, August 30, 2010

Week 9 begins

This morning was perfect run weather. You know what I mean...sunny but cool and crisp. Shorts and a long-sleeved T time. I ran 6 miles with the boys this morning. It was the first run I've done in a long time that felt effortless and fun and I didn't want to stop. I could have run all day if I didn't have to go to work. Totally motivating. Also completely pain-free...probably, in large part, a result of yesterday's massage.

For years I've had trouble with my right IT band. Tightness, pain. Total drag. I had PT for 4-6 months a few years ago. It really affects my running. Now I stretch a lot and use a foam roller. Because the pain is on the right side, I've always focused on that side. I stretch both but spend way more time on the right. The masseuse, who used to be an athletic trainer, said my right side was super flexible but my left was tight. It's possible that imbalance was resulting in the pain on the opposite side. He stretched out my left side and today it was like I've never had IT issues. Now, I'm going to stretch the hell out of both sides and keep feeling good. Also interesting, I had knots in my biceps from doing pull-ups. That's hardcore.

I feel great and I'm ready to conquer this week. No more pain. No more excuses. Time to hit the ground running.

No comments:

Post a Comment