Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Baby run

My goal this week is to ease into training regularly again. This morning I ran 2 miles (yes, a total baby run) with the Pig Ninjas, Rudy and Hank. It was a gorgeous morning and I loved the run, but came to the conclusion that I'm miserably out of shape. It's okay, I know I'll gain fitness quickly. For some reason, I have a much harder time with short runs than long runs. The first 3-4 miles of each run are difficult but after that I feel fantastic. Endorphins maybe? Warm muscles?

My mileage for the next several weeks is going to be very low, with the goal of easing into training with no injuries. I have a tendency to jump into high mileage and insanity. Running a full marathon with essentially no training? Done it. More than once. A half-Ironman after 4 months of PT and only 3 workouts? Did that, too. Never again. I really want to be well-trained for this race so I can power through and feel strong and not just struggle through. An IM is enough of a struggle without adding poor training to the mix.

Tomorrow is my first day back in the pool in about a year. Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment